1. Nominations to the College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists (hereafter referred to as “the College”) will be initiated by Members of the College (Members), Fellows of the RSC (Fellows), and Institutional Members (IMs).
2. There is no limit to the number of nominations allowed from Members, Fellows, or Institutional Members.
3. Candidates must be no more than 15 years from the conferral of the PhD or equivalent qualification. Where there are questions of equivalence eligibility, the RSC Secretary shall provide the conclusive determination on behalf of the RSC Council.
4. The criterion for nomination shall be excellence, which is understood to encompass the goals of diversity and inclusivity to which the RSC is committed, and to which the membership of the College is expected to exemplify in terms of discipline, gender, ethno-racial diversity, Aboriginality, and official languages.
5. The Selection Committee will select the cohort of the College in light of the mandate of the College, which is to reflect the fields currently represented by the Academies of the RSC.
6. Each nomination is to be completed using the online Nomination Form, and shall include:
a. a cover letter from the primary nominator;
b. a citation (maximum 70 words)
c. a detailed appraisal (maximum 1200 words)
d. a candidate's statement (maximum 500 words)
e. two letters of reference (maximum 750 words each)
f. a brief biography of each referee (maximum 250 words)
g. a CV (in any format, maximum 10 pages)
7. The deadline for nominations shall be 1 December 2020.
8. Nominations for the College shall be evaluated by a Selection Committee composed of the President of the College as Chair; the Secretary of the College; as well as Fellows and Members of the College as necessary.
9. The Selection Committee shall forward a list of candidates for appointment to the College to the Secretariat. The list of candidates must be ratified by the Council of the RSC.
10. The chosen candidates will be informed and must consent to membership and the conditions of membership in order to proceed to being inducted as members of the College.
11. The Members of the College shall be admitted at the AGM of the RSC in November of each year. The ceremony will be separate from the induction of Fellows.
12. The business meeting of Members of the College shall take place during the AGM of the RSC in November of each year, following the admission of the incoming cohort of Members. The meeting will be chaired by the President of the College.