The College: Protocols and Procedures
1. Nominations to the College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists (hereafter referred to as “the College”) will be initiated by Members of the College (Members), Fellows of the RSC (Fellows), and Institutional Members (IMs).
2. Each IM will be allowed to submit up to 3 nominations each year. There is no limit to the number of nominations allowed from Members or Fellows.
3. Candidates must be no more than 15 years from the conferral of the PhD or equivalent qualification. Where there are questions of equivalence eligibility, the Honorary Secretary shall provide the conclusive determination on behalf of the RSC Council.
4. The criterion for nomination shall be excellence, which is understood to encompass the goals of diversity and inclusivity to which the RSC is committed, and to which the membership of the College is expected to exemplify in terms of discipline, gender, ethno-racial diversity, Aboriginality, and official languages.
5. The Selection Committee will select the cohort of the College in light of the mandate of the College, which is to reflect the fields currently represented by the Academies of the RSC.
6. Each nomination is to be completed online using the Nomination Form, and shall include:
a. a cover letter from the primary nominator;
b. a CV (in any format);
c. one reference letter from a person of authority on the candidate and their field (along with a brief biography of the referee);
d. a 1000-word summary of the candidate’s record; and,
e. a 70-word citation.
7. The deadline for nominations shall be 8 March 2017.
8. Nominations for the College shall be evaluated by a Selection Committee composed of the President of the College as Chair; the Secretary of the College; as well as Fellows and Members of the College as necessary.
9. The Selection Committee shall forward a list of candidates for appointment to the College to the Secretariat. The list of candidates must be ratified by the Council of the RSC.
10. The chosen candidates will be informed and must consent to membership and the conditions of membership in order to proceed to being inducted as members of the College.
11. The Members of the College shall be admitted at the AGM of the RSC in November of each year. Each new Member will agree to the conditions of membership and will take the oath of membership; the ceremony will be separate from the induction of Fellows.
12. The business meeting of Members of the College shall take place during the AGM of the RSC in November of each year, following the admission of the incoming cohort of Members. The meeting will be chaired by the President of the College.